Saturday 22 October 2011

There's a few new songs to post, so let's start with some more of my favourite 80s singer - you guessed it - Suzanne Vega.
She is just so amazing, I love to sing all of her songs.
Here's two of my favourites at the moment-


Slightly intense, effortlessly captivating - with a beat that anyone could dance to - Suzanne and her band are brilliant at making something deep and different.
I really like the lyrics to this song, too - they're like poetry.

Solitude stands by the window
She turns her head as I walk in the room
I can see by her eyes she's been waiting
Standing in the slant of the late afternoon

And she turns to me with her hand extended
Her palm is split with a flower with a flame


Here's another that I like to identify with - you understand just by the name of the song, don't you?



Nobody can deny it - she's got style.
I think that she is very inspiring - instead of conforming - making her music similar to others at the time (a trait very common in the music industry nowadays), she does the opposite.
Rather, her producer told her to make it as "alive and spontaneous as possible".
This is what I like about Suzanne - it's her difference which makes her popular.


(quotation from Retrospective- the best of Suzanne Vega introduction by Lenny Kaye 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment